When zucchinis are in abundance, and you’re craving a delectable treat, this cream cheese zucchini muffins recipe comes to the rescue. These muffins offer a delightful combination of moistness, subtle sweetness, and a cream cheese surprise in every bite. It’s a recipe that not only helps you use up that surplus zucchini but also delivers a delicious twist on traditional muffins.
Cream Cheese Zucchini Muffins Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini about 1 medium zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans optional
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter, vegetable oil, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract to the sugar mixture and beat until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just incorporated.
- Fold in the softened cream cheese, grated zucchini, and chopped nuts (if using). Be careful not to overmix.
- Spoon the muffin batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about two-thirds full.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Selecting Zucchinis: Choose fresh zucchinis that are firm, with smooth skin. Avoid overripe zucchinis as they may contain excess moisture, which can affect the muffin texture.
- Grating Zucchini: Use a box grater or a food processor with a grating attachment to shred the zucchini. There's no need to peel the zucchini; the skin adds color and nutrients to the muffins. After grating, you can lightly pat the zucchini with paper towels if it appears excessively watery.
- Cream Cheese Softening: Ensure the cream cheese is at room temperature for easy mixing. You can microwave it in short bursts of 10-15 seconds if it's too cold.
- Customization: Feel free to customize these muffins to suit your preferences. Add chocolate chips, raisins, or dried cranberries for extra sweetness. Alternatively, omit the nuts if you have allergies or simply prefer nut-free muffins.
- Storage: Store leftover muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days. For longer storage, place them in the refrigerator for up to one week or freeze them for up to three months.
- Freezing Tips: To freeze muffins, wrap them individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then place them in a zip-top freezer bag. Label the bag with the date for easy reference. When ready to enjoy, thaw muffins in the refrigerator or microwave them for a quick warm-up.
- Reheating: To reheat refrigerated muffins, microwave them for about 15-20 seconds or warm them in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 5-10 minutes until they are heated through.
- Nut-Free Variation: If you're avoiding nuts, consider replacing the nuts with a streusel topping made from a mixture of brown sugar, oats, and a touch of cinnamon for added texture and flavor.
- Make It Gluten-Free: If you require a gluten-free option, substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free baking blend. Ensure the baking powder and baking soda are also gluten-free.
- Variations: Get creative with your spices. You can experiment with flavors by adding a pinch of cloves or ginger for a different aromatic dimension.
Why Make Cream Cheese Zucchini Muffins Recipe?
There are several compelling reasons to make Cream Cheese Zucchini Muffins:
A Twist on Tradition: These muffins add a delightful twist to classic zucchini bread, infusing creaminess and a hint of tanginess with cream cheese.
Sneak in Veggies: It’s a clever way to incorporate zucchini into your diet, especially if you have an abundance from your garden.
Perfect for Anytime: Whether as a snack, a breakfast treat, or a dessert, these muffins are versatile and suitable for any occasion.
How Difficult Is It To Make Cream Cheese Zucchini Muffins Recipe?
This recipe is beginner-friendly, making it accessible to all levels of bakers. The steps are straightforward, and the ingredients are readily available, making it a hassle-free baking experience.
How Does Cream Cheese Zucchini Muffins Recipe Taste?
These muffins boast a delightful taste profile. The cream cheese adds a creamy and slightly tangy dimension, while the grated zucchini keeps them moist. The combination of spices provides a warm, comforting flavor, making these muffins a crowd-pleaser.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour?
Yes, you can substitute whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour to make the muffins slightly healthier.
Do I need to squeeze the liquid out of the grated zucchini?
No, it’s not necessary. The zucchini’s moisture adds to the muffins’ texture and keeps them moist.
Can I use reduced-fat cream cheese?
Yes, you can use reduced-fat cream cheese without significantly affecting the taste or texture.
Can I freeze these muffins?
Yes, these muffins freeze well. Allow them to cool completely, wrap them individually, and store in an airtight container in the freezer.
Can I omit the nuts if I have allergies?
Absolutely, you can omit the nuts or substitute them with chocolate chips or dried fruit if you prefer.
Awesome cream cheese zucchini muffins Recipe
This cream cheese zucchini muffins recipe offer a delightful fusion of flavors, making them a wonderful addition to your baking repertoire. Whether you’re looking for a way to enjoy garden-fresh zucchinis or simply craving a moist and creamy treat, these muffins are sure to satisfy your taste buds. Try this recipe and savor the perfect balance of creaminess, sweetness, and a hint of spice in every bite.