This creamy wild rice soup recipe is a delightful dish that combines the earthy flavors of wild rice with a creamy, comforting base. This recipe not only warms your soul but also satisfies your taste buds with its rich and wholesome goodness. Whether you’re looking for a hearty lunch or a cozy dinner, this soup is the perfect choice.
Creamy Wild rice Soup Recipe
- 1 cup wild rice
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken optional
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- In a large pot, combine wild rice and 4 cups of broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In another pot, sauté onions, celery, carrots, and garlic in butter until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in flour to create a roux, then gradually add in milk and cream, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens.
- Combine the rice, vegetable mixture, and diced chicken (if using) in the large pot. Add the remaining 2 cups of broth.
- Simmer for an additional 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh parsley before serving.
- Wild Rice Varieties: There are different varieties of wild rice available, and cooking times may vary slightly. Follow the package instructions for the specific type you have, but aim for a tender, slightly chewy texture.
- Chicken or Vegetable Broth: You can choose between chicken or vegetable broth, depending on your dietary preferences. Both options work well and provide excellent flavor.
- Diced Chicken: Adding diced cooked chicken is optional but adds protein and heartiness to the soup. You can use leftover roasted chicken or cook chicken breasts/thighs specifically for this recipe.
- Vegetable Variations: Feel free to customize the vegetable mix to your liking. Some variations include adding mushrooms, peas, or sweet corn for extra flavor and texture.
- Roux Thickness: The thickness of your roux (butter and flour mixture) will determine the soup's overall consistency. Adjust the amount of flour and butter if you prefer a thicker or thinner soup.
- Milk and Cream: Whole milk and heavy cream create a rich and creamy base. If you're looking for a lighter version, you can use low-fat milk or half-and-half.
- Seasoning: Be cautious with salt, as the broth can vary in saltiness. It's best to season the soup towards the end, allowing you to adjust the salt and pepper to your taste.
- Garnish: Fresh parsley adds a lovely touch of color and freshness to the soup. You can also experiment with other herbs like thyme or chives for a different flavor profile.
- Storage: Creamy Wild Rice Soup can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to three days. When reheating, you may need to add a splash of milk or broth to maintain the desired consistency.
- Freezing: To freeze the soup, allow it to cool completely and transfer it to a freezer-safe container. It can be stored for up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Variations: Get creative with this recipe by adding ingredients like cooked bacon, shredded cheese, or a drizzle of truffle oil for extra flavor and indulgence.
- Serving: This soup pairs beautifully with crusty bread, crackers, or a side salad. It's a versatile dish that complements various sides for a complete meal.
Why Make Creamy Wild Rice Soup Recipe?
Making Creamy Wild Rice Soup from scratch allows you to control the ingredients, ensuring a healthier and more flavorful dish compared to store-bought alternatives. Plus, it’s a versatile recipe that can be customized to your preferences, making it a great choice for any occasion.
How Difficult Is It To Make Creamy Wild Rice Soup Recipe?
While this recipe may seem elaborate, it’s relatively straightforward, even for novice cooks. With clear instructions and basic cooking techniques, you can whip up a restaurant-quality soup in no time.
How Does Creamy Wild Rice Soup Taste?
Creamy Wild Rice Soup is a symphony of flavors. The nutty, slightly chewy texture of wild rice pairs perfectly with the creamy broth. The addition of vegetables and chicken (if desired) adds depth and a hint of sweetness. It’s a comfort food classic with a rich and satisfying taste.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make Creamy Wild Rice Soup vegetarian?
Yes, simply replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth and omit the chicken. It’s equally delicious!
Can I freeze Creamy Wild Rice Soup?
Yes, this soup freezes well. Store it in an airtight container for up to three months.
What can I substitute for heavy cream?
You can use half-and-half or whole milk for a lighter version of this soup.
Can I use precooked wild rice?
Yes, using precooked wild rice can save you time. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
What side dishes go well with Creamy Wild Rice Soup?
This soup pairs wonderfully with a crusty baguette, a fresh salad, or even a simple sandwich.
Enjoy This Creamy Wild Rice Soup Recipe
Our creamy wild rice soup recipe is a delightful and satisfying dish that’s both versatile and straightforward to make. Whether you enjoy it as a hearty lunch or a cozy dinner, this homemade soup will surely become a favorite comfort food in your repertoire. Enjoy the blend of earthy wild rice and creamy goodness in every spoonful!