This socca pizza with squash and feta recipe is a savory chickpea flour pancake from the South of France. This gluten-free and vegan-friendly dish combines the earthy flavors of roasted squash and the creamy richness of feta cheese, all atop a crispy, chickpea flour crust. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or a newbie in the kitchen, this recipe offers a delectable twist on pizza night. Let’s dive into how to create this culinary masterpiece!
Socca Pizza with Squash and Feta Recipe
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small butternut squash peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C). Place a 12-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven to heat.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, water, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt, and pepper until you have a smooth batter. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Toss the diced butternut squash with the remaining olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread it out on a baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the squash is tender and slightly caramelized.
- Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven and pour in a thin layer of the chickpea batter. Return the skillet to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the socca crust is set and slightly golden.
- Remove the socca from the oven and top it with the roasted squash and crumbled feta cheese.
- Return the socca pizza to the oven for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melty and bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves and a drizzle of olive oil. Slice and serve hot.
- Chickpea Flour Batter: Ensure your batter is smooth and lump-free before pouring it into the hot skillet. You can use a whisk or a blender for this purpose.
- Hot Skillet: Preheating the cast-iron skillet is crucial for achieving a crispy socca crust. Be cautious when handling the hot skillet.
- Toppings Variety: While this recipe highlights squash and feta, feel free to experiment with your favorite toppings. Fresh herbs, olives, or sun-dried tomatoes can add extra layers of flavor.
- Socca Thickness: The thickness of your socca crust is a matter of personal preference. Thinner crusts will be crisper, while thicker ones will be softer. Adjust the amount of batter you pour into the skillet accordingly.
- Roasting Squash: Keep an eye on the butternut squash while roasting to prevent it from overcooking. You want it tender but not mushy.
- Herb Garnish: Fresh basil leaves are an excellent garnish, but you can also try other herbs like parsley or cilantro for a different flavor profile.
- Serve Hot: Socca Pizza is best enjoyed straight from the oven while the crust is at its crispiest.
- Customization: Get creative with your Socca Pizza by experimenting with different vegetables, cheeses, or drizzles of balsamic reduction for unique flavor combinations.
Why Make Socca Pizza with Squash and Feta Recipe?
Unique Flavors: This recipe combines the unique, nutty taste of chickpea flour crust with the sweetness of roasted squash and the creamy tang of feta cheese. It’s a flavor explosion you won’t want to miss!
Gluten-Free and Vegan: If you have dietary restrictions, you’ll love that this Socca Pizza is both gluten-free and vegan-friendly, making it an inclusive option for gatherings.
Easy to Customize: Get creative with your toppings! Add your favorite veggies, herbs, or even a drizzle of balsamic reduction for a personalized twist.
How Difficult Is It To Make Socca Pizza with Squash and Feta Recipe?
This recipe is surprisingly easy to make, even for beginners. The socca crust comes together with minimal effort, and the toppings are simple to prepare. With clear instructions, you’ll have a delicious homemade pizza in no time!
How Does Socca Pizza with Squash and Feta Recipe Taste?
The Socca Pizza boasts a crispy and slightly nutty chickpea flour crust that serves as the perfect canvas for the sweet and savory combination of roasted squash and creamy feta. It’s a harmonious blend of textures and flavors that will delight your taste buds.
1. Can I use different toppings for my Socca Pizza?
Absolutely! Get creative and personalize your pizza with your favorite veggies, cheeses, and herbs.
2. Is chickpea flour readily available?
Yes, you can find chickpea flour in most grocery stores or online. It’s also known as garbanzo bean flour.
3. Can I make the socca crust ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the chickpea flour batter in advance and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
4. What should I serve with Socca Pizza?
A simple side salad with fresh greens and a light vinaigrette pairs wonderfully with this pizza.
5. Can I freeze leftover Socca Pizza?
While the socca crust may not freeze well, you can freeze leftover toppings separately and use them for future meals.
Try Our Socca Pizza with Squash and Feta Recipe
Our socca pizza with squash and feta recipe is a culinary adventure that brings together flavors and textures in a delightful way. This gluten-free and vegan-friendly recipe is not only easy to make but also a palate-pleasing experience. Whether you’re sharing it with friends or enjoying a cozy night in, this pizza is sure to become a favorite in your recipe repertoire. Give it a try and savor the magic of homemade Socca Pizza!