Try our gnocchi with butternut squash with kale and sage brown butter sauce recipe. As the leaves start to change and the air turns crisp, it’s the perfect time to cozy up with a comforting dish that celebrates the flavors of fall. This delightful combination of seasonal ingredients that will warm your heart and tantalize your taste buds.
Gnocchi with Butternut Squash with Kale and Sage Brown Butter Sauce Recipe
- 16 oz 450g store-bought gnocchi
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8-10 fresh sage leaves
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the gnocchi in salted water until they float to the surface (usually 2-3 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add sage leaves and cook until they turn crispy and the butter turns golden brown.
- Remove the sage leaves and set them aside for garnish.
- Add butternut squash cubes to the brown butter and cook until tender and slightly caramelized.
- Stir in chopped kale and sauté until wilted.
- Toss the cooked gnocchi into the skillet and stir until everything is well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with crispy sage leaves and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Gnocchi Texture: Be sure not to overcook the gnocchi. They are done when they float to the surface, which usually takes 2-3 minutes. Overcooking can result in a mushy texture.
- Butternut Squash Prep: To save time, you can purchase pre-cut butternut squash from the store. If cutting it yourself, aim for uniform-sized cubes to ensure even cooking.
- Sage Leaves: Fresh sage leaves are the star of the brown butter sauce. Ensure they are dry before adding them to the hot butter to prevent splattering. Reserve a few extra crispy sage leaves for garnish—they add a delightful crunch and flavor.
- Brown Butter: Achieving the perfect brown butter is crucial. Watch it carefully as it melts; it should turn a rich golden brown with a nutty aroma. Be cautious not to let it burn, as this can result in a bitter taste.
- Variations: Feel free to customize this recipe to your taste. You can add toasted pine nuts, crumbled bacon, or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for added flavor.
- Cheese: While Parmesan cheese is the classic choice for garnish, you can experiment with other hard cheeses like Pecorino Romano for a different flavor profile.
- Serving: This dish is best served immediately after cooking to enjoy the perfect texture and flavor. However, if you have leftovers, they can be reheated in the microwave or on the stovetop with a splash of broth to maintain moisture.
- Make-Ahead: You can prepare some components in advance to streamline the cooking process. Cube the butternut squash, chop the kale, and even make the brown butter sauce ahead of time. Just store them separately until you're ready to cook.
- Vegetarian Option: To make this dish vegetarian, use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth in the recipe.
- Pairing: Consider pairing this meal with a light white wine, such as a Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio, to complement the richness of the brown butter sauce.
Why Make Gnocchi with Butternut Squash with Kale and Sage Brown Butter Sauce Recipe?
This delightful recipe is a celebration of autumn’s bounty, combining the earthy sweetness of butternut squash, the hearty goodness of gnocchi, and the rich, nutty flavor of brown butter. It’s a perfect choice for those who crave the cozy, comforting flavors of fall.
How Difficult Is It To Make Gnocchi with Butternut Squash with Kale and Sage Brown Butter Sauce Recipe?
While it may sound fancy, this dish is surprisingly easy to prepare. With simple instructions and readily available ingredients, even novice cooks can whip up a delicious meal in no time.
How Does Gnocchi with Butternut Squash with Kale and Sage Brown Butter Sauce Recipe Taste?
The taste is pure autumn bliss. The soft, pillowy gnocchi melt in your mouth, while the butternut squash adds sweetness and the kale brings a hint of earthiness. The sage brown butter sauce ties everything together with its aromatic, nutty flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use homemade gnocchi instead of store-bought?
Yes, homemade gnocchi can be used for an even more personalized touch.
What can I substitute for kale?
Spinach or Swiss chard make excellent alternatives to kale.
Is it possible to make this dish vegetarian-friendly?
Absolutely! Simply substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth to keep it vegetarian.
Can I prepare the sage brown butter sauce in advance?
Yes, you can make the sauce ahead and reheat it when serving.
What should I serve with Gnocchi with Butternut Squash and Sage Brown Butter Sauce?
A simple side salad or crusty bread is a great complement to this dish.
Enjoy This Gnocchi with Butternut Squash with Kale and Sage Brown Butter Sauce Recipe
Our gnocchi with butternut squash with kale and sage brown butter sauce recipe is more than just a meal; it’s a taste of autumn on your plate. With its ease of preparation and delightful flavors, this recipe is a must-try for anyone seeking comfort and warmth during the fall season. So, embrace the changing leaves and savor the essence of fall with every forkful of this delectable dish.