Ah, Orange Chicken – that beloved dish that perfectly encapsulates the union of sweet, tangy, and savory. Popularized by Chinese-American restaurants, it’s a favorite for many. Now, imagine achieving that same luxurious taste with just five simple ingredients. Sounds dreamy, right? Let’s embark on this flavorful journey.
5 Ingredient Orange Chicken Recipe
- 4 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced chicken to the pan and cook until golden brown and cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, in a bowl, mix together the orange marmalade, soy sauce, and garlic powder until well combined.
- Once the chicken is cooked, reduce the heat to low and pour the orange mixture over the chicken. Stir well to ensure each piece is coated.
- Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Serve the orange chicken over steamed rice or noodles and enjoy!
- Choice of Chicken: While we recommend boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chicken thighs can offer a juicier texture. Adjust cooking time if using thighs, as they might take a tad longer.
- Marmalade Consistency: If you find the marmalade too chunky or prefer a smoother sauce, you can slightly heat it and strain out any solid pieces before mixing with soy sauce.
- Adjusting Sweetness: The sweetness level can vary based on the brand of marmalade. If you find it too sweet, balance it out by adding a splash more soy sauce or a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Serving Suggestions: This dish pairs beautifully with steamed jasmine rice or noodles. For a healthier option, consider serving over cauliflower rice or quinoa.
- Vegetable Additions: Feel free to toss in vegetables like bell peppers, snap peas, or broccoli for added nutrition and color. Sauté your chosen veggies before adding the chicken.
- Sauce Thickness: If you prefer a thicker sauce, mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water and add it to the sauce during the simmering stage.
- Fresh Garnish: Enhance the dish's presentation and flavor by garnishing with sesame seeds, sliced green onions, or a zesty orange zest.
Why Make Orange Chicken?
Orange Chicken is a delightful fusion of tangy and sweet flavors with succulent chicken pieces. Its popularity is not without reason; it’s a dish that appeals to both adults and kids. Making it at home ensures freshness, quality, and the ability to tweak the recipe to your liking.
How Difficult Is It To Make Orange Chicken?
You might think a dish this delicious would be complex, but our version couldn’t be simpler. With just five ingredients and a straightforward cooking process, even kitchen novices can effortlessly master this dish.
How Does Orange Chicken Taste?
The beauty of Orange Chicken lies in its harmonious flavor profile. The sweetness from the marmalade contrasts with the saltiness of the soy sauce, all complemented by the aromatic hint of garlic. The result is a rich, glossy, and flavorful dish that dances on your palate.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I use chicken thighs instead of breasts?
Absolutely! Chicken thighs might even give a juicier result. Just adjust the cooking time as thighs may take a bit longer.
- What can I substitute for orange marmalade?
If you don’t have marmalade, you can use fresh orange juice with a bit of sugar or honey. However, marmalade provides a richer orange flavor.
- How do I store leftovers?
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a pan or microwave before serving.
- Can I add vegetables to the dish?
Certainly! Bell peppers, snow peas, or broccoli can be great additions. Just sauté them before adding the chicken.
- How can I make the dish spicier?
Add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a splash of hot sauce to the orange mixture for an added kick.
In wrapping up, this 5 Ingredient Orange Chicken Recipe is a testament to the fact that simplicity can indeed be delicious. Whether you’re new to the kitchen or a seasoned cook, this recipe promises a sumptuous meal with minimal fuss. So, roll up those sleeves and bring the flavors of the restaurant right into your kitchen!