The festive flavors of this HEB turkey cranberry salad recipe is a classic pairing, often reminiscent of holiday feasts. This salad takes this iconic duo to a delightful new level, perfect for lunches, picnics, or even as a unique potluck dish.
HEB Turkey Cranberry Salad Recipe
- 2 cups cooked turkey diced
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup celery finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: chopped pecans or walnuts for some crunch
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the diced turkey, dried cranberries, celery, and green onions.
- In a separate smaller bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and Dijon mustard. Add this dressing to the turkey mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper according to your preference.
- If using, fold in the chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving to let the flavors meld.
- Serve chilled on a bed of greens or as a sandwich filling.
- Turkey Choice: While freshly roasted or grilled turkey is recommended, deli turkey can be an easy alternative. Just ensure it's of good quality to keep the salad flavors robust.
- Cranberries: If you find dried cranberries too sweet, you can opt for reduced sugar varieties available in most grocery stores. On the other hand, if you're using fresh cranberries, remember they can be quite tart. Consider lightly sautéing or roasting them with a sprinkle of sugar or honey to reduce their tartness.
- Dressing Variation: For a lighter version, you can use Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise. It'll give your salad a tangy twist while reducing the calorie count.
- Additional Crunch: While celery gives this salad a good crunch, you can also consider adding roasted almonds, sunflower seeds, or even pumpkin seeds for added texture.
- Serving Suggestions: This salad works wonders as a sandwich filling, especially with a multigrain or cranberry walnut bread. Alternatively, serve it on a bed of fresh spinach or mixed greens with a light vinaigrette on the side.
- Make Ahead: If you're preparing this salad for an event or gathering, you can mix all the ingredients except for the dressing and store it in the fridge. Add the dressing an hour before serving to ensure the salad remains fresh and doesn't get soggy.
- Vegan & Vegetarian Alternatives: For those following a vegan diet, opt for vegan mayo and replace turkey with grilled tofu or chickpeas. Both alternatives absorb flavors well and offer a satisfying texture.
Why Make HEB Turkey Cranberry Salad Recipe?
This salad captures the essence of holiday flavors in a dish that can be enjoyed year-round. It’s a refreshing way to utilize leftover turkey and offers a beautiful balance between savory and sweet.
How Difficult Is It To Make HEB Turkey Cranberry Salad Recipe?
Making this salad is a breeze. If you have precooked turkey, it’s simply a matter of mixing. Even if you’re not an experienced cook, this is a straightforward recipe to pull off.
How Does HEB Turkey Cranberry Salad Recipe Taste?
Imagine the hearty flavor of turkey complemented by the tangy sweetness of cranberries, all enveloped in a creamy dressing. The celery adds a fresh crunch, making each bite diverse and satisfying.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use fresh cranberries instead of dried?
While dried cranberries provide a sweet and chewy texture, fresh cranberries can be a bit tart. If using fresh, consider lightly sautéing them with some sugar to mellow out the tartness.
How long does the salad last in the refrigerator?
This salad can be stored in an airtight container and should be consumed within 2-3 days for optimal freshness.
Can I add other ingredients to this salad?
Absolutely! Some additions could include chopped apples for a crisp sweetness, or even some blue cheese for a tangy kick.
What’s the best turkey to use for this recipe?
Leftover roasted or grilled turkey works best. However, in a pinch, quality deli turkey can be used as well.
Is there a vegetarian alternative to turkey for this salad?
For a vegetarian option, consider using grilled tofu or tempeh. They’ll absorb the flavors of the dressing beautifully.
Whip Up Our HEB Turkey Cranberry Salad Recipe Idea
Embrace the nostalgic flavors of the holidays with this HEB turkey cranberry salad recipe, and enjoy a dish that’s both comforting and refreshing!