Taste our warm, and comforting oatmeal baked apples with maple brown butter and toasted hazelnuts recipe. It is a treat for the senses. Perfect for a cozy breakfast or a healthy dessert, this dish is sure to become a favorite in your household.
Oatmeal Baked Apples with Maple Brown Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts Recipe
- 4 large apples cored
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 tbsp brown butter
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts roughly chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oats, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt.
- Fill each cored apple with the oat mixture.
- Place apples in a baking dish.
- Drizzle with brown butter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the apples are soft.
- Remove from oven and top with toasted hazelnuts.
- Serve warm.
- Apple Variety: While tart apples are recommended, feel free to use any apple of your choice. Just adjust the sweetness accordingly.
- Oats: Rolled oats are preferred for their texture, but quick oats can be used for a softer filling. Avoid using steel-cut oats as they won’t soften adequately during the baking process.
- Maple Syrup: For a richer flavor, consider using grade A dark maple syrup. It offers a deeper and more robust maple taste.
- Toasting Hazelnuts: Toasting hazelnuts not only provides a crunchier texture but also enhances their nutty flavor. Toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat until golden and fragrant, then let cool before chopping.
- Making Brown Butter: To make brown butter, melt unsalted butter over medium heat, swirling occasionally. Once it starts to foam, watch carefully as the color changes to a deep golden brown and it gives off a nutty aroma.
- Serving Suggestion: These baked apples pair wonderfully with a dollop of vanilla ice cream or a drizzle of heavy cream for added indulgence.
- Prep Ahead: You can prepare the oat mixture a day ahead and refrigerate. Just fill the apples and bake when ready to serve.
- Storage: If you have leftovers, wrap each apple individually in plastic wrap or foil, then store in the fridge. They can be reheated in the microwave or oven.
- Vegan Option: Replace the brown butter with melted coconut oil or vegan butter for a dairy-free version. Check your maple syrup label to ensure it's pure and without additives.
- Nut Allergies: If someone has a nut allergy, consider substituting with granola or seeds like pumpkin or sunflower for a crunch.
Why Make Oatmeal Baked Apples with Maple Brown Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts Recipe?
This dish is not only delicious but also packed with nutrients. Apples provide dietary fiber, while oats are known for their heart benefits. The combination of maple and hazelnuts gives a richness that’s unparalleled.
How Difficult Is It To Make Oatmeal Baked Apples with Maple Brown Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts Recipe?
It’s incredibly easy! The process is straightforward, and even if you’re a beginner in the kitchen, you’ll be able to whip up this treat with ease.
How Does Oatmeal Baked Apples with Maple Brown Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts Recipe Taste?
Imagine the tartness of baked apples, the sweetness of maple syrup, the richness of brown butter, and the crunchy goodness of hazelnuts. Every bite is a delightful blend of textures and flavors.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use any apple variety?
Yes, though tart apples like Granny Smith or Honeycrisp work best for this recipe.
- Can I make this vegan?
Absolutely! Substitute brown butter with coconut oil or a vegan butter alternative.
- How can I store leftovers?
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave.
- Can I use pecans instead of hazelnuts?
Certainly! Any nut of your preference can be substituted.
- Is there a sugar-free version?
Yes, you can replace maple syrup with a sugar-free syrup or use stevia for sweetness.
Final Thoughts: Oatmeal Baked Apples with Maple Brown Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts Recipe
Our oatmeal baked apples with maple brown butter and toasted hazelnuts recipe is a dish that’s both indulgent and nutritious. Whether you’re enjoying it as a start to your day or concluding a meal with it, the delightful flavors are sure to leave you craving more. Happy cooking!