Cream Turkey on Toast, often referred to as “Turkey a la King” or simply “Turkey Toast,” is a comforting dish that harkens back to simpler times. Perfect for using up leftover turkey from festive dinners, this creamy concoction paired with the crunch of toast is soul-warming, delicious, and makes for a delightful family meal.
Cream Turkey On Toast Recipe
- 2 cups cooked turkey shredded or diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk or light cream
- 1/2 cup chicken or turkey broth
- 1/2 cup green peas optional
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices of toasted bread
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add diced bell pepper (if using) and sauté until softened.
- Stir in the flour, continuously whisking for about 1 minute to form a roux. This helps thicken the sauce.
- Gradually pour in the milk or cream and broth, whisking constantly to prevent lumps.
- Allow the mixture to simmer and thicken for about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the shredded turkey and peas to the saucepan. Stir well and let it simmer for another 2-3 minutes until the turkey is heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, ladle the creamy turkey mixture over toasted bread slices.
- Leftover Turkey: This recipe is particularly great for post-holiday leftover turkey. Make sure your turkey is well-stored and still fresh when you decide to use it.
- Roux Preparation: Achieving a smooth roux (flour and butter mixture) is key. Cook the roux just until it's pasty and slightly golden to avoid a raw flour taste.
- Consistency: If your sauce becomes too thick, you can always thin it out with a little more milk or broth. Conversely, if it's too thin, let it simmer a bit longer.
- Vegetable Add-ins: This dish is flexible. Aside from the listed veggies, consider adding sautéed mushrooms, onions, or even bits of cooked bacon for additional flavor.
- Serving Alternative: While toast is classic, consider serving over a bed of steamed rice, mashed potatoes, or even biscuits for a hearty twist.
- Dairy-Free Alternatives: When using non-dairy milks like almond or coconut, be aware that they might alter the final flavor a bit. Opt for unsweetened versions to keep the dish savory.
- Herbs & Seasoning: Consider adding fresh herbs like parsley or thyme for added depth. A dash of nutmeg or white pepper can also elevate the creamy sauce.
Why Make Cream Turkey On Toast?
Cream Turkey on Toast is the quintessential comfort food. It’s not only a wonderful way to utilize leftover turkey, but it’s also a dish that brings back fond memories of family dinners and cherished moments. It’s quick, filling, and a delicious break from the typical sandwich or cold leftovers.
How Difficult Is It To Make Cream Turkey On Toast?
This dish is notably easy to prepare. Even if you’re not a seasoned cook, the process is straightforward. With minimal ingredients and a short cook time, it’s a hassle-free option for any meal.
How Does Cream Turkey On Toast Taste?
Imagine a harmonious blend of tender turkey enveloped in a rich, creamy sauce, with the occasional pop of sweetness from peas or the slight crunch of bell peppers. Paired with the crispy texture of toast, it’s a delightful dance of creamy and crunchy, savory and mild, warming you from the inside out.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I add other vegetables to the mix?
- Absolutely! Feel free to add mushrooms, carrots, or even celery for added texture and flavor.
- What can I use instead of toast?
- You can serve the creamy turkey over rice, biscuits, or even pasta. It’s versatile and pairs well with many bases.
- How long does it last in the refrigerator?
- Stored in an airtight container, the creamy turkey mixture can last up to 3 days in the fridge.
- Can I use a different meat?
- Certainly. While turkey is the classic choice, you can substitute it with chicken or even ham.
- Is it possible to make it dairy-free?
- Yes, you can replace the milk or cream with almond milk, coconut milk, or other dairy-free alternatives. Adjust the seasoning accordingly.
Relive cherished memories or create new ones with this Cream Turkey on Toast. It’s a reminder that sometimes, the simplest dishes bring the most joy. Enjoy!