When it comes to comforting, flavorful, and impressive meals, this tomato-butter roast chicken recipe takes center stage. This dish combines the classic appeal of roast chicken with the vibrant zest of tomatoes and the indulgent richness of butter. It’s a recipe that’s surprisingly simple to prepare yet delivers a symphony of tastes that will leave your taste buds singing.
Tomato-Butter Roast Chicken Recipe
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can 14 oz diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Season chicken thighs generously with salt and pepper.
- In an oven-safe skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs, skin side down, and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté until fragrant and translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, chicken broth, butter, dried thyme, and dried rosemary. Let it simmer for 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Return the chicken thighs to the skillet, skin side up, and spoon some tomato mixture over them.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and roast for about 40-45 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) and the skin is crispy.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves before serving.
- Chicken Thighs vs. Chicken Breasts: While the recipe suggests using bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs for maximum flavor and juiciness, you can substitute them with bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts if you prefer white meat. Just be mindful of the cooking time, as chicken breasts may cook faster.
- Adjusting the Seasonings: Feel free to customize the seasonings to your taste. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes for some heat or more herbs like basil, oregano, or thyme for extra flavor.
- Fresh vs. Canned Tomatoes: You can use either fresh tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes for this recipe. If using fresh tomatoes, peel and chop them before adding them to the skillet. Canned tomatoes are convenient and work well too.
- Crispy Chicken Skin: Achieving crispy chicken skin is essential for this dish. Make sure to sear the chicken thighs skin side down for about 5 minutes on each side until they turn golden brown. This step helps create a crispy texture.
- Choosing the Right Pan: Opt for an oven-safe skillet or pan to sear the chicken on the stovetop and then transfer it to the oven for roasting. Cast iron skillets work excellently for this purpose.
- Internal Temperature: Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) before removing it from the oven. This guarantees that the chicken is cooked through and safe to eat.
- Fresh Basil Garnish: The addition of fresh basil leaves just before serving adds a burst of freshness and aroma to the dish. You can also experiment with other fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro.
- Make-Ahead Tips: While Tomato-Butter Roast Chicken is best enjoyed fresh out of the oven, you can prepare the tomato sauce in advance and reheat it when needed. Store the chicken and sauce separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
- Serving Suggestions: This dish pairs wonderfully with a variety of side dishes. Consider serving it with creamy mashed potatoes, roasted seasonal vegetables, or a simple green salad for a well-balanced meal.
- Leftovers: If you have leftovers, store them in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. Reheat the chicken and sauce in a microwave or on the stovetop, adding a splash of chicken broth to maintain moisture.
Why Make Tomato-Butter Roast Chicken Recipe?
Tomato-Butter Roast Chicken is a delightful fusion of flavors. The juicy chicken, succulent tomatoes, and rich butter come together to create a dish that’s not only delicious but also visually appealing. It’s a perfect choice when you want to impress guests or enjoy a special family dinner without spending hours in the kitchen.
How Difficult Is It To Make Tomato-Butter Roast Chicken Recipe?
This recipe may sound fancy, but it’s surprisingly simple to make. Even novice cooks can follow the steps and achieve fantastic results. With a bit of patience and some basic kitchen skills, you can master this savory dish.
How Does Tomato-Butter Roast Chicken Recipe Taste?
Tomato-Butter Roast Chicken is an explosion of flavors. The chicken is tender and flavorful, while the tomato-butter sauce adds a rich, tangy note. The herbs infuse the dish with aromatic complexity, making each bite a delightful experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use chicken breasts instead of thighs?
Yes, you can use chicken breasts, but thighs are recommended for their juiciness and flavor.
What can I serve with Tomato-Butter Roast Chicken?
This dish pairs well with mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, or a simple green salad.
Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned?
Absolutely, fresh tomatoes work beautifully. Just be sure to peel and chop them before use.
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
While it’s best enjoyed fresh, you can prepare the sauce in advance and reheat it when serving.
How can I achieve crispy skin on the chicken?
Searing the chicken before roasting is key to achieving crispy skin.
Make This Tomato-Butter Roast Chicken Recipe Yours
Our tomato-butter roast chicken recipe is a culinary masterpiece that combines simplicity with exceptional taste. Whether you’re cooking for a special occasion or just craving a comforting meal, this recipe is sure to become a favorite. With its bold flavors and straightforward preparation, it’s a dish that proves gourmet dining can be achieved right in your own kitchen. So, roll up your sleeves, gather your ingredients, and savor the delicious journey of creating Tomato-Butter Roast Chicken.