There’s a timeless comfort in the embrace of our saltgrass potato soup recipe. Inspired by the signature dish from Saltgrass, this potato recipe offers a restaurant-quality experience right in the comfort of your home.
Saltgrass Potato Soup Recipe
- 5 lg russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 md onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 chopped turkey bacon (optional)
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped green onions and additional cheddar for garnish
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, sautéing until translucent.
- Add diced potatoes to the pot, stirring well to combine with the onions and garlic.
- Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth, ensuring that the potatoes are submerged. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and let the soup simmer until the potatoes are tender, around 20 minutes.
- Using a blender or immersion blender, partially puree the soup, leaving some potato chunks for texture.
- Return the soup to low heat, stir in heavy cream, cheddar cheese, and bacon (if using). Continue to stir until the cheese is melted and the soup is heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Serve hot, garnishing with additional cheddar cheese and green onions.
- Russet potatoes are preferred for their starchy texture which contributes to the creaminess of the soup. However, Yukon Golds can also be a good substitute.
- Adjust the creaminess by varying the amount of blending. For a chunkier texture, blend less. For a smoother consistency, blend more.
- If you're looking to reduce fat, you can replace heavy cream with milk. The soup will be less creamy but still delicious.
- If you want a richer taste, consider using bone broth. It also adds extra nutrients to the soup.
- For a vegetarian version, consider using vegetarian bacon bits for that smoky flavor without the meat.
- Add fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary during the simmering process to infuse more flavors.
- If you prefer a kick, consider adding a pinch of red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce.
- Serve with crusty bread, croutons, or a side salad to make it a complete meal.
- When reheating, do so on a low heat to prevent the dairy from curdling.
- Use coconut cream or cashew cream as a dairy substitute and vegetable broth. Omit the bacon or use a vegan substitute.
Why Make Saltgrass Potato Soup Recipe?
The Saltgrass Potato Soup offers a harmonious blend of simple ingredients that, when combined, deliver a comforting dish with layers of flavor. This recipe is perfect for those chillier days when you need a heartwarming meal or when you’re in the mood for a creamy, textured delight.
How Difficult Is It To Make Saltgrass Potato Soup Recipe?
The beauty of this recipe lies in its simplicity. Even if you’re not a seasoned cook, the steps are straightforward, making it relatively easy to achieve a delicious, restaurant-quality soup at home.
How Does Saltgrass Potato Soup Recipe Taste?
This soup embodies a rich and creamy texture, balanced with the savory flavors of onion, garlic, and optional bacon. The melding of cheddar gives it an additional depth of taste, making each spoonful a delightful experience.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I make this soup vegetarian?
Absolutely. Simply use vegetable broth instead of chicken and omit the bacon.
What can I use as a substitute for heavy cream?
You can use half-and-half or a milk and butter mixture. However, the soup might be slightly less creamy.
How long can I store the leftover soup?
Stored in an airtight container, the soup will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze the potato soup?
Yes, but be aware that dairy can sometimes separate when frozen and reheated. It’s best consumed fresh, but if freezing, reheat slowly and stir well.
How can I add more protein to the soup?
Consider adding diced chicken, more bacon, or even white beans for a protein boost.
Taste This Saltgrass Potato Soup Recipe Goodness!
Savor the comforting embrace of this saltgrass potato soup recipe, a culinary masterpiece that promises a delightful experience with every spoonful. Perfect for family dinners or solo indulgence, it’s a dish that never disappoints.